Pages

Wednesday, January 05, 2011

How I Brought Bread Into Existence



I learned how to make bread today! I was about to make my amazing carmel rolls, had the yeast done [i still don't always get it to rise properly] and had the milk scalded. Then, the unfortunate happened. There were no eggs in the fridge! I had checked all the ingredients aside from the obvious things a kitchen should have before I started, because well...let's face it, there isn't a grocery store for at least 30 miles. I frantically searched for two eggs. I dashed to the fridge downstairs with hopes high. No eggs. I called neighbors looking for donors. [really i just dialed my aunt but she wasn't home sadly] I resumed my quest for eggs. Oh, how I wish we still had chickens!! I even looked in the freezer. By this time, I was mad with cooking fury.

Then I gave up. Took the pot off the burner. Went back to boring dishes. "My day is just RUINED," I thought. What a terrible way to start the day! But then Betty Crocker started whispering ideas to me. I looked up bread recipes. I had never made bread before. Rolls, sure, but BREAD?! How intimidating. All I could think of was Grandma's Bread and never being able to measure up to that standard. But I was desperate. What could I lose? I already had the yeast done, and the milk scalded. Might as well put it to good use.

And VOILA!

Two loaves were born.




I promise it was two, but I didn't take pictures until after the boys got back from school and basketball practice. I'll let you in on a little secret. Teenage boys like to eat. A lot.

4 comments:

Linda said...

They look perfectly golden brown! I bet they were yummy too. I love homemade bread.

Holly said...

I LOVE homemade bread! You can come bake at my house any time. :) Your bread looks delicious!

Ginger said...

Megan it has been a long time since I have been over here!!How are you??
Ginger~

Unknown said...

So busy with school!! I follow your blog, sorry that I haven't been commenting lately :(