Pages

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Thoughts on Slavery

Here are some of the final images from my portrait project. I came across many different people—differing political backgrounds, opinions, accents, and living situations. I took the majority of the images by the Hershey store in Chicago and told people that the Hershey’s company uses slave labor for much of their products.

I just asked their opinion about it and if I could take their picture. Some did not let me take their picture, one didn’t speak English and the first person I asked about it just didn’t know what to say and laughed it off.

As for these people's opinions....

  • The man on the top left--"Well, I'm against that."
  • The man on the bottom left (pardon his 'French')--"That's bulls--t"
  • The couple--"Well, I obviously don't approve of anything with slave trade."
  • The man on top right--"I wasn't aware that Hershey's did that...capitalist."
  • Charles--"I'm a Democrat. I do not shop at Wal-Mart because they are products from slave labor entities. I do not eat chocolate."

During crit yesterday, one of my professors commented on how I could have taken the picture first and then asked their thoughts. I want to continue going into Chicago and asking people, and I'm going to try to remember to take their picture first. And I have to remember to be more assertive of moving the subject so they are in a better composition and lighting situation. Truthfully, I was so nervous and out of my comfort zone on Saturday, that it was hard to remember.

Did I mention I got lost for about an hour?

No comments: