Pages

Monday, April 15, 2013

Boston.


Tragedy. Its one of those things that is impossible to put into words, yet everyone feels the need to do it.

By now you've heard of the tragedy surrounding the Boston Marathon. As of this writing and to my knowledge, there are two dead, 57 injured, and 8 critical. Some of my good friends are passionate about running. It could have been any one of them. When I heard the news I just couldn't be on the computer anymore. I had to leave the room.

This was the first time a tragedy in the states really hit me. I'm not going to say that the recent shootings or 9/11 haven't had an effect on me, but I tried not to let them touch me. This one did for some reason. I don't even have any family or close friends living on the east coast. I think it was the photographs. The image that really broke me was one I saw on Twitter, where several runners were just laying in blood. That's when it became real.
























In my mind, bombs don't exist in my world. The Middle East, sure. But in my perfect, untouched,  middle class world, it is full of student loans and groceries. Nothing out of the ordinary, and certainly nothing life shattering. I know this sounds ridiculous since it obviously isn't true, but sometimes brains don't make sense.

Yet, even in the midst of this turmoil, people weren't just losing it, they were rushing to help others.

       "What I'm most struck by: video of the explosion shows police, military, bystanders
         running TOWARDS blast area to help. People. Are. GOOD." @DrGMLaTulippe

Pray for Boston. Pray for helaing. Pray for understanding in this chaos. Pray for peace and hope.



No comments: