Pages

Sunday, February 18, 2007

AMAZING Grace

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.
`
T'was Grace that taught
my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
the hour I first believed.
`
Through many dangers, toils and snares
we have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far
and Grace will lead us home.
`
The Lord has promised good to me
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be
as long as life endures.
`
When we've been here ten thousand years
bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise
then when we've first begun.
`
Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.
`
`

These wonderful and amazing lyrics were written by John Newton. John Newton went from slave to slavetrader to a gifted songwriter. My mom and I went to a different church today. The wonderful sermon was on grace. The pastor pointed out the line "Saved a wretch like me." He made the comment that many Christians (and non-Christians) don't see ourselves as wretches. Well, if we don't give our lives to Christ, we will be wretches forever!


Grace is amazing! We don't deserve it, God wasn't required to give it. The sermon was so good! Okay, a couple notes from the sermon:


No one is exempt from grace. But, God has provided righteousness by grace apart from human works. (Romans 3:21-27) Everyone needs grace and although some people abuse it it is always available.
`
Distinctive marks of grace:
  • Grace can be received.
  • Grace is a means of salvation.
  • Grace is the opposite of works.
  • Grace is absolutely free.
  • Grace sets Christianity apart.
  • Grace is unaffected by sin's degree.

A "righteous" person needs just as much grace as a condemned criminal.

  • Grace is always under attack.
  • Grace is amazing and awesome.
  • Grace is unconditional.
Let grace into your life:


Admit humanity
Attitude of humility
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Unfortunately, we had to leave early because my mom was singing with the group Alive! at the Jamestown prison today. By the way, pray for that today-- that the prisoners' hearts would be opened and that everyone singing, especially the soloists, would remember all the words. When we were leaving they were showing a video clip, my mom thought it was for the movie, Amazing Grace. Is anybody going to that? (You or someone that you know)


I am not what I ought to be. I am not what I want to be.
I am not what I hope to be. But still, I am not what I used to be.
And by the grace of God, I am what I am.
~
John Newton

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love to make brownies that I call "glorified brownies" which have marshmallows, nuts, and chocolate sauce! They are yummy. I can say that because another cook invented them, not me.

A lady in my church is famous for her excellent brownies because they are so moist. One time I asked her how she made them. What amazed me was she said all she did was add a little chocolate syrup to the batter. Amen to an easy shortcut!

Kris said...

That reminds me of camp, and the story of John Newton's life. That is a great quote. And I absolutely love the song! By the way how did Alive do at the prison, did you get to go in with them? I bet it was a very humbling experience!

Bethany said...

Hey Megan! To answer your questions... You are looking into getting a camera? So exciting! A web-page I highly recommend is: www.dpreview.com

It has all the latest info on all the latest cameras, as well as consumer reports. It really depends what kind of photography you want to get into. There are alot of really nice cameras out there, but if you want to go professional, check out the single-lense-reflex cameras (SLR's). They are MUCH more pricey, (as you'll be able to tell by the reports!) but if you want to go at all professional, that is the way to go. I use a Nikon D70, and have been totally thrilled with its performance. If you ever have any specific questions, feel free to ask!

And about the 'over-write' thing. I'm not sure I understand your question! Either that or you are getting in way deeper than I ever have! :D