Pages

Friday, March 23, 2007

Extreme Sides

I was so happy when I found this. It is my favorite (or one of my favorite) story. Speaking of happy, I am SOOOOO HAPPY TODAY!!!!! I got a B- on my english essay! That might not seem like much, but it is quite a step up from my last paper! :) Since I got my paper, I have been singing "O Happy Day." Not necessarily the song, but the 'happy day' part. :D And the weather is beautiful today. It is wonderful, gorgeous, fantabulous. Did I mention that i was happy?! :D ;D :D Anyways, here is Extreme Sides...

Russia: Hypocrites


They were singing choruses when the two soldiers entered with rifles. The service came to a halt as the Russian soldiers stared at the believers with wild eyes.

“What are you doing here?” they shouted. “Worshiping your imaginary God?” The church members cowered in the pews, wondering if there were more soldiers and more guns outside.

“All those who are faithful to God, move to the right side of the church,” said one of the soldiers, his face a mask of hatred. “You will be shot for your faith. You who wish to go home and keep your life, stand on the left side. You must decide to live or die. Those who are faithful to this ‘God’ will die. Those who deny him can live freely.”

Ten minutes earlier, everyone had sung praises equally. Now it was a question of life or death. Some stood to the left, looking sadly or waving apologetically to those on the right. Some stood on the right, their eyes closed in last-minute prayers.

“You on the left are free to go,” one of the soldiers said moments later. Those people filed out, taking one last look at those who would soon be dead.When only those on the right remained, the soldiers put down their weapons. “We, too, are Christians,” they said, “but we wish to worship without hypocrites.”

Defining moments come to us when they are least expected, and we cannot prepare for them. We must experience them “as is” and learn from the consequences. A defining moment is any situation involving a question of character. It may be as complex as a church service interrupted by perpetrators who demand our allegiance to one faith or another. Or it may be as simple as deciding whether or not to walk out of an offensive movie. Our response to a defining moment will side us with that which is Christlike or that which is questionable. Ready or not, we meet our real character face-to-face the moment we decide to take sides.



He who is not with me is against me,
and he who does not gather with me scatters.
~
Matthew 12:30

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your B-. That sounds good to me. Your story of the Russians certainly makes you think. How great is our Faith. They can only kill our body, but our soul will be safe with the Lord.
Love Grandpa "Psalm 91"

Bethany said...

I love that story, too! Such a powerful testimony!

And congrats on the grade on your English paper! :D Go Megan!

Amanda said...

Congrats on your essay! I didn’t even think about all the picture opportunities from having a house looking out on the ocean. Now you are making me want one even more. Lol. I’m working on a nonfiction book. That’s all I’ll say for now. ;-)

Barbara said...

Congratulations on your B-.

When I think of 'defining moments', I think about the young girl who chose to die for her belief in God in the Columbine murders. We think of such a tragic thing for a young person that has her future ahead of her, to do such a thing, but God looks on one of his Children and says, 'well done, my good and faithful servant'. We know that young lady is with her Lord and Savior. How many of us could have chosen her path?

I believe a defining moment can be asking someone not to curse or tell dirty jokes in your presence. Or, removing yourself from the company of someone you feel has done wrong and you don't want to be caught up in it. (I am thinking of my grandson who gave up a friendship when this boy was doing drugs and couldn't be reached by others). I have to give God the thanks every day for taking care of the children.

Sister to the Persecuted said...

Two weeks ago, the Lord gave me quite a test. I won't go into the details (yet, anyway) but I had to face some pretty harsh consequences of following my conscience. It was hard. Part of the struggle was submitting myself to God rather than fear. After I had accepted the future results, I still felt quite sad- but I was God's.
However, I discovered that I had been in no danger at all. Relieved after that test, I decided that I was ready to prepare to take the promise at the back of the book, Jesus Freaks. The promise to live for God as His sacrifice, to love, and to persevere for Him. Though I haven't signed it yet, the words are all written out- and I consider that as good as signed. With a close friend as my witness, I will seal it.