Pages

Saturday, August 02, 2008

My Story

Over at the Feelin' Feminine site, Miss Jocelyn wanted us to share our story/thoughts about femininity and modesty. You can click HERE to read it and look at her other posts, etc. Or just scroll down to just read the article.


I used to be more of, shall we say, a tomboy. I absolutely hated to wear skirts. I was so happy that the only place I had to wear them was at church. However, my last two or three years of high school, I liked dressing up and being more ‘girly.’ But as I met people who demonstrated-and as I read about- femininity and modesty, the more I became interested in it. It has really been within the last year (maybe two) that I started wearing skirts on a regular basis. I’ve read a lot of articles on the web about femininity and modesty.
Elisabeth Elliot’s books have really influenced my thinking too. I’ve also gotten interested in the idea of courtship. I am determined to wait for my future husband. And waiting does not mean just lying around the house. I am *preparing* for my future husband. Or maybe God is preparing me for a life of singleness. Only He knows.
I’ve definitely got mixed comments when I dress in skirts as opposed to jeans. Some people think it is just weird (one person asked if I was trying to look like a teacher…?), but others say that they wish they would wear skirts more often and say they’re proud of me for wearing them.


We should not have to worry about our clothing every minute of the day. Who needs the headache of remembering not to bend over too low, for fear of exposing our chest? Or making sure that the pair of jeans being worn isn’t too much of a low rise? That’s why I like shoes. Even when you’re barefoot, no one ever thinks, “Oh dear, she isn’t even wearing a shoe!! She’s revealing her foot!!!!” :)


I have to be careful not to judge others, though. It is very easy to look at someone immodestly dressed, and think “how could they wear that?!” Matthew 7:2-3: “For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?” Besides that, modesty is more than how we dress. It’s also about how we think and what we say. I really need to work on how I think and act. When someone tells me to do something, sometimes I’ll forget, and that, my friends, is called disobedience. I’m trying to live for my Lord and Savior while still on this earth. That sometimes means giving up some of the things and desires that I want.


Psalm 37:3-4
Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou
shalt be fed. Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the
desires of thine heart.

I am determined to be feminine while waiting for my future Prince Charming. I desire to pursue Him and what He wants me to do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post! I enjoyed reading about your journey towards more feminine dress.
Your point about not judging others because of what they wear is so true. Sometimes I'll judge girls who dress differently than me, and then I get to know them and find out what wonderful girls they are, and, like myself, are striving to honor the Lord.